Sunday, October 23, 2011

P is for... podcasts?

I have learned a lot about pod casts. Before this week, I knew that pod casts were available on iTunes, and that I could download them. However, I never really understood them. I did not realize that the pod casts could be seen! I assumed that pod casts were strictly for listening. It was interesting to learn that anyone anywhere could make their own pod casts! I also did not know that there was a place online that is equivalent to iTunes that allows users to find pod casts, subscribe to them and then have them automatically put into their "queue". Pod casting has so many interesting ways that can be used in the classroom. Students can use iPods while in the classroom to engage in many interactive learning processes! Teachers can record lessons and have students who are struggling listen to the podcast for extra instruction. While this will not replace the one on one instruction the student may need, it can help to extend the learning. Students can also listen to pod casts from around the world and on many different topics, enhancing their learning. For example, if the students are learning about Japan, they can listen to a podcast from Japan. If they are learning science, they can listen to pod casts over that topic. 

Pod casting is similar to many of the web 2.0 tools that we have discussed in this class.  I especially think that it is similar to voice thread. Both of these tools allow the user to record their voice to be played back in another setting. The difference between these two is that pod casts can also be videotaped so that the user sees the person creating the podcast. Blogs are another form of interaction, but typed onto the computer as opposed to being videotaped or voice recorded. All of these are forms of media where the viewer can listen to, or read information that other people have shared. Wiki's on the other hand are meant to be used where anyone can contribute to the content. All of these web 2.0 tools are fun for students to use and engage them in learning. All of these tools also provide an extension to the curriculum and extra or added practice for students.

I currently own an iPod and cannot imagine never having one! I use it in so many ways. Currently I have downloaded ebooks and read them. I mainly use it for listening to music and have also watched music videos on it. I use my iPod with digital downloads of movies and love that I can watch my movie anywhere! I have never used it to view or listen to pod casts, but after learning so much this week, I plan to find one that I like and download it, at least to try it out! I would use my iPod in the classroom setting, and in fact my school currently uses iPods with students. I would use it to allow students to explore pod casts that relate back to the subject that are investigating that week, as well as watch educational videos, and listen to classical music when working. There are just so many things that it can be used for! I think that the advantages of online communication tools is that students can relate to them because they are using them everyday at home. Using online communication tools also opens up a world of learning and it can be very fun for students. A disadvantage to online tools is that some students and educators may view it as replacing instruction, when it should just be an extension to the instruction.

2 comments:

  1. You make a lot of good points! For one, it is especially important that educators do not try to replace traditional teaching with technology. It should be used as an additional resource. Not a replacement. I also found it very interesting that your school uses iPods. I'd be interested to know what they use them for and if podcasts are part of what they're used for.

    I think that your idea of teachers recording lesson by using podcasts would be a good idea. If a student needs help but doesn't have the time or is too embarrassed to get help after school, the teacher can make a podcast for them and they can listen to it on the school bus. That way, no one would know what they are doing and they would not have to feel embarrassed but would be learning at the same time. It's a win-win situation.

    I don’t think I’ve ever listened to a podcast, or had any experience with most of the stuff covered in this class, but after this week, I have every intention of finding one to see what there is and if there might be a podcast for something that I like.

    ~Stacy Hill~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Ms. Hill this was great. I never used my iPods for movie downloads but got to thinking this would be great for students to use when having to read about certain things in classes such as Scarlet Letter and Shakespeare. This would also be a great tool to help in assisting the teacher with various forms of technology interaction such as using the iPod to create various apps that will aid in the story book reading assignments as well as answer them and email the results if the app is not already out there somewhere. Great job you just gave me an idea to use.

    ReplyDelete